Duct Cleaning Services
now browsing by category
Why Is a Duct Cleaning Service in Toronto Important After a Renovation or Construction?
Although people hire duct cleaning companies for a variety of reasons, this service is imperative following a renovation or construction. Regardless if you had your home renovated, a new home built, or construction performed on an existing home, you should hire a company known for the best duct cleaning in Toronto. The duct cleaning specialists will first assess your ductwork and then determine the best course of action.
Many people in your situation feel that everything is clean because the workers swept and vacuumed the home following the renovation or construction. In reality, small unseen particles are left behind within the ductwork, including chemicals, dust, and debris. Even for a small renovation or construction job, dust becomes trapped inside of your home’s ductwork, so you can only imagine how dirty the ducts are after a big job.
Think about all of the work performed, such as cutting wood, plastering walls, painting, stuccoing, laying new floors, putting in countertops, and more. All of these things create dust and debris that result in contaminated airflow if left uncleaned. With duct cleaning, your home will smell cleaner and fresher, you will not have to deal with accumulated dust on furniture, and the air quality improves, which is essential for anyone with allergies or upper respiratory problems.
Although scientists have yet to prove that clean ductwork makes a home healthier, it certainly makes sense that it would. With the ducts cleaned, there are no airborne contaminants for people to inhale. Many individuals who struggle with asthma, COPD, allergies, and other similar health problems claim they feel better after having the air ducts cleaned. If nothing else, clean ducts are a good precautionary step to avoid potential health issues.
Something else to consider is that once a renovation or construction project is complete, dust and debris inside of the ductwork causes restricted airflow. Because of this, your HVAC system works harder and runs longer. With your home’s air conditioning or heating system working overtime, you would spend more each month on utility bills. In addition, this could lead to premature failure of the system. Therefore, having clean air ducts can save you significant money.
At City Duct Cleaning, we take pride in performing high-quality assessments and performing stellar work. Regardless if you had renovation or construction work done in your home, give us a call. You can also visit our website to learn about our company and the services that we provide.
The Potential Benefits of Duct Cleaning Service in Toronto
By using a top duct cleaning service in Toronto, you can enjoy many benefits. Today, reputable duct cleaning companies use state-of-the-art equipment and techniques that make a huge difference in the quality of indoor air. If you have not had your ductwork cleaned for years or you seem to be suffering from more allergies than usual, now is the time to contact a company that offers the best duct cleaning in Toronto. The duct cleaning specialists that come to your home will assess the situation and then take the appropriate action.
Because each situation is unique, the benefits could vary. The following represent some of the most common benefits that come from hiring one of the top duct cleaning companies.
- Energy Savings – Most people never think about the energy savings that go along with professional duct cleaning. However, officials report that as much as 40 percent of the energy used by heating and cooling systems goes to waste. The reason is that ducts filled with contaminants force these systems to work harder than designed. With clean air ducts, not only is less energy used, this extends the life of your heating and cooling system.
- Cost Savings – With clean ductwork, your heating and cooling system does not run for long periods to heat or cool the home. Not only does this equate to a financial saving on utility bills, there is less wear and tear on the system. Therefore, this extends its life. That means that you are not faced with investing in a new system that breaks down prematurely.
- Indoor Air Quality – As stated, the main benefit of having your ducts cleaned is that everyone in the home, including pets, will enjoy cleaner and healthier air. On a daily basis, cleaning products, pet dander, aerosol sprays, and more compromise indoor air quality. Coupled with the fact that outdoor pollutants seep through small cracks in doors and windows, and it takes no time for the air quality to diminish. Fortunately, duct cleaning specialists take care of the problem through professional cleaning, which improves the air you breathe substantially.
Instead of living in a home with poor air quality, our team of professionals at City Duct Cleaning can help. Please visit our website to learn about our services or call us today to schedule an appointment.
Fascinating Facts Behind Duct Cleaning That You Should Know
When it comes to duct cleaning in Toronto, most people think they know just about everything. However, only after delving into the facts do they realize that residential and commercial duct cleaning in Toronto is quite fascinating.
Here are some of the more interesting facts about duct cleaning in Toronto.
- With an increase in high-efficiency windows and doors, as well as improved insulation, indoor air quality is actually on the decline. Although all of these design elements are great for reducing energy consumption and saving money, they cause a reduction in the amount of air transfer going between the inside and outside. Because most of these elements do not have additional ventilation, pollutants that get inside a home or business stay there.
- Residential and commercial duct cleaning in Toronto help improve indoor air quality by eliminating contaminants like pet dander, dust, dirt, chemicals, molds, microbes, and fungi within the ductwork system.
- On average, a heating and air conditioning system recirculates indoor air up to seven times a day. This has a huge impact on the amount and even type of contaminants that become trapped inside of ducts. Using a trusted duct cleaning service for regular maintenance prevents a buildup of contaminants.
- There are two methods of duct cleaning services. First, a special system connects into the ductwork to provide suction. As a high-pressure hose passes through, particles are removed. Second, a specialized vacuum that attaches to a hose and brushing system is passed through the ductwork. To be effective, both of these systems should be operated by an expert.
- Professional services should include cleaning of the heating or/or air conditioning pump as well as the coils inside of the HVAC system. To eliminate mold, dust mites, or bacteria left behind after cleaning is done, the expert should use a disinfectant fog.
- Depending on the size of the home or business, along with the type and level of contaminants, it takes between three and five hours to complete a thorough cleaning. If the heating or air conditioning system is located on the roof, more time is required.
- As for duct cleaning price, this is typically based on square footage, as well as the number of systems, levels, and registers involved. Because prices vary, it is important to have duct cleaning in Toronto performed by a reputable company.
City Duct Cleaning has been providing customers with superior services for years. We stand behind our services for duct cleaning in Toronto, whether residential or commercial. To learn more, please visit our website or call us directly to schedule an appointment.
Tips for Working with a Professional Duct Cleaning Service in Toronto
When it comes to choosing a professional duct cleaning service in Toronto, you should look for specific things. Obviously, you want to hire a company that offers years of experience in this field and employs highly trained and qualified technicians. That way, you know the work on your ductwork will be done correctly and safely.
A professional company that provides duct cleaning work will not only check the filters but also change them as needed. The technician’s job is to do whatever it takes to get the duct system clean and keep it that way. Therefore, the company should recommend a maintenance schedule, as well as regular inspections.
As far as how often the ducts should be cleaned, this remains somewhat controversial. Most experts say the exact schedule depends on several factors, including smoking, pets, local weather, recent renovations, home cleanliness, and more. Usually, a well-respected technician will offer an inspection for a nominal fee. During that inspection, it can be determined if a cleaning is required.
It is imperative that the company you hire to clean your ducts has the proper experience and knowledge. A poor cleaning is worse than if the duct system were never touched. The reason is that as a technician moves about and works with different types of equipment, particles that had settled become airborne. Often, this makes the air quality worse. In some cases, it can actually damage the HVAC system.
In addition, a professional duct cleaning service in Toronto will not only sweep the ducts but also address virtually all components, including the central system and coils. Often, this is something that is done by more than one professional. Therefore, the cost is higher. However, this may be necessary to improve your home’s air quality.
When the duct cleaning service in Toronto performs the work as required and follows industry standards, you will enjoy cleaner air and lower utility bills. In fact, when coils and blowers are cleaned, some people see a savings of up to 40%. The bottom line is that air duct cleaning is an essential part of home maintenance. However, to ensure the work is done correctly, you need to hire a qualified company.
Duct Cleaning Service in Toronto: Understanding the Fundamentals
There is no physical way for you to go through the ductwork in your home to determine if it needs to be cleaned. For that reason, you need to pay attention to the signs and then hire a reputable company that offers top-rated air duct cleaning services in Toronto and the surrounding area.
Getting Ductwork Professionally Cleaned
Fortunately, companies that provide this service have the expertise and use the necessary equipment. For example, a qualified technician uses a special camera that is designed to capture images deep in the system. These images are then viewed and analyzed, which helps determine if duct cleaning services are needed.
A common sign of dirty ductwork is particles that blow out of the air registers. There can also be cobwebs, as well as clogs of debris and dust. In some situations, even mold exists on the duct’s interior surface. The Toronto technician who provides duct cleaning services will also look for dead insects and rodent droppings on the inside of the ducts.
As imagined, all of these have a direct impact on the air quality within the home. For instance, with high-quality air duct cleaning services in Toronto, a buildup of dust within the ductwork is eliminated. The technician will also remove cobwebs and debris. As a result, airflow through the system improves dramatically. In fact, the system’s overall efficiency improves. In more serious cases, this improvement can be as much as 40 percent. Something important to note is that when comparing fiberglass ducting with sheet metal, fiberglass naturally attracts and gathers more dust. If you have a fiberglass duct system, you will need more frequent cleanings.
Although duct cleaning services in Toronto are usually required, there are instances when this type of service is unnecessary. For instance, if dust and debris on the inside of the ductwork are not circulating, then cleaning is not required. In addition, if no one in the home is affected health-wise, perhaps you could schedule cleaning at a future time. To reduce the need for air duct cleaning services in Toronto, make sure that you choose high-quality filters and change them often. If the ductwork is dirty, make sure that you choose an experienced company to clean it.
Dryer Lint Traps – Everything You Need to Know
Every time you use your clothes dryer, you should clean the lint trap. A clean lint trap helps the dryer to run at maximum efficiency and maximum safety.
Some dryer vent installations also have an external lint trap, which is also known as a secondary lint trap or a 4″ In-Line Dryer Lint Trap.
What Is a Dryer Lint Trap?
This device acts as an in line lint filter in the dryer’s exhaust pipe. Its purpose is to provide additional protection for your dryer booster fan, and it also helps to prevent the dryer exhaust pipe from getting clogged with lint as quickly.
External lint traps are usually installed on clothes dryers that are located on an inside wall, or when the length of the dryer vent exceeds 20-30 feet. The shorter the overall length of the vent pipe and the fewer the number of elbows or turns in the pipe, the better. New dryers will only carry the air and lint for about 18 feet, not including elbows and bends. Longer vent lengths and turns all add restriction to the air flow, causing dryer lint to build up inside.
Best Use Practices
A good way to do this is by having your dryer vent professionally cleaned on a regular basis. This is also where the secondary lint trap can help. Not everyone needs an external lint trap, and some homeowners who do have them often have questions about their use.
The most commonly asked questions about lint traps that are asked by people who already have one are:
1. How often should I clean it?
2. How do you open the door?
So to answer those questions, the lint trap has a clear door, so you can see through it. Check it before every load and you will quickly get an idea of how often your’s needs to be cleaned… something like every 3-5 loads is average. That’s for the secondary lint trap. The one that came with your dryer still needs to be cleaned at the start of every load.
While not every load fills the trap, cleaning it after each load will help reduce energy use.
And to open the door? That depends on the type of lint trap you have, however, they are all fairly similar. The most common one is a model called the LT-180. It has a plexiglass door with a knob on it. All you have to do is lift the knob up and pull it out on the bottom. To replace the door, you reverse those steps. Its very easy once you try it a few times.
Your LT180 lint trap can be installed either on the wall (highly visible) or inside the drywall. If this is the case, then you would only see a plexiglass door with two small folds of metal on either side. This could be on the ceiling near your dryer or on the wall.
The photo above shows an extremely dirty lint trap. The condo owner had recently moved in and did not realize they even had one of these.
Home Depot Dryer Lint Traps
The LT-180 is the best we have found so far. It is made in Canada, is constructed of thick metal and is of commercial quality. This lint trap is a permanent model.
Over time (years) the door may crack or the screen may become damaged or frayed. It will help to know that the door and screen can be replaced seperately, and those cost about $20. If you have a broken door on your model LT180 lint trap, feel free to call us and we can send you a new one.
Some Do-it-yourselfers prefer to buy a dryer lint trap from Home Depot, but they also offer several other models as well. There are cheaper quality plastic ones, but it is recommended that you purchase the more durable and slightly more expensive model LT180. The metal one is much more sturdy and will be problem-free.
Risk Of Dryer Duct Fires
Dryer duct fires are a very real and serious threat. They have become more frequent with population growth, and stories of dryer duct fires have been steadily increasing and are now fairly common in the news.
Any home or business that operates a clothes dryer needs to take proper precautions to reduce this risk as much as possible, regardless if your machine is gas or electric.
Dryer lint is very flammable and can accumulate inside a vent pipe fairly quickly. It is recommended that most dryer exhaust vents be cleaned once per year.
More Info About Secondary Lint Traps
It is always a good idea for homeowners to educate themselves about the operation of their HVAC systems and clothes dryer. Everyone knows how to use the dryer, but you can still learn some helpful and useful tips with a small amount of research.
Below are some useful links that we’ve found regarding the safe operation of your clothes dryer, and how to help prevent a
dryer fire in your home or business.
Taking care of your clothes dryer is important for home fire safety.
Tips to prevent dryer fires at https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/clothes_dryers.html
More dryer tips at http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/118931/5022.pdf